Amazing roasted hazelnuts and chocolate with crunchy granola. Can breakfast get any better than this?
Breakfast! Known as the most important meal of the day to help your body function properly and has been a weakness my whole life, and I mean that I usually miss it and snack during the morning. I must admit I am very good in ensuring my kids get breakfast in the morning before school especially and I usually sit with a cup of tea. I am definitely a creature of habit with this routine.
So how can I break this mold and eat breakfast as we are advised? Crunchy hazelnut and chocolate granola are how. I first started making granola from many recipes from books and currently, most are full of various nuts and dried fruits. Now I will admit I don’t have a cupboard full of these various nuts and fruits and wanted to create a granola that was simple and did not require a ton of additional ingredients which is how this granola was born.
It took a few attempts to get it to the taste and crunch that the family and I enjoy, which was actually only at the second attempt so was really excited when it worked.
This granola has some great flavours and textures that I look forward to breakfast and have broken the routine. Well, I still have my cup of tea. It just accompanies my breakfast.
You have to imagine now, eating this granola. If you have had granola before the usual clusters of amazing crunchy oats is there but is joined by the earthy taste of maple syrup, heightened sweetness from the golden syrup and honey followed with crunchy hazelnuts which have an amazing roasted flavour and little milk chocolate chips that just melt away with each bite.
How is this not the most inviting granola ever?
Bring it together with some natural raspberry yoghurt and fresh raspberries and you have a perfect match in heaven.
So are you going to break your morning routine like me and start the day with this tremendous hazelnut and chocolate granola?
Hazelnut and Chocolate Granola
- 100 ml Maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- 2 tbsp. golden syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 tbsp. Rapeseed Oil
- 300 g rolled oats
- 150 g hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 200 g milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C Fan or Gas Mark 3. In a small bowl mix together the maple syrup, honey, golden syrup, vanilla bean paste and oil and mix well.
- In a large bowl add the oats, hazelnuts and then drizzle the wet mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Place the granola mix on to a large baking tray and place in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove, stir slightly and then bake for a further 10 minutes until completely golden. Allow to cool on the tray.
- Once cooled add the chocolate chips mix well and place in to a large jar or breakfast container.
- Serve with some natural yoghurt and fresh raspberries or with milk, the choice is yours.