As I did with the spiced green bean niscoise this dish was created by inspiration of using the last of a few ingredients around the kitchen. These new potatoes were the last remaining from the day before and with similar ingredients to the green beans I added some of the natural yoghurt left over from the mint raita. This was a compromise as my wife absolutely and on every occasion we devour an Indian take-away orders sag-aloo.
I never had any spinach on this occasion but she was as pleased with this side dish as was I. quite surprised at the flavours coming through I was most impressed with the tang that the lemon added. It really brought together the earthiness of the potatoes, sweetness of the peas and the heat from the spices. A creation that I will definitely be making again, or more so, being told too.
New Potatoes and Peas with spiced yoghurt
- 150 g new potatoes
- ½ red chilli finely diced
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp. mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- 3 tbsp. natural yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 75 g peas
- ½ lemon juiced
- Salt and Pepper
- Wash and size the potatoes and cook until just cooked. Add the peas and cook for 2 minutes then drain and keep to the side.
- In a frying pan dry roast the cumin seeds and mustard seeds until they become fragrant. Add a teaspoon of oil and add the chilli, garlic and turmeric and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the yoghurt and then the cooked potatoes and peas. Stir and then add the lemon juice and season.
- Serve immediately alongside other favourite Indian sides.