So it’s been a while since my last post as I have been quite busy with my daily job in the Army. I am back and bringing simple back to the table with one of the kids favourites – Homemade fish fingers.
This always goes down a treat and as we have our weekly menu on the fridge it always brings a smile to our eldest as she always checks out what is for dinner before she goes to school. As with every kids favourite this brings smiles and a little commotion, as they really cannot wait until dinnertime.
So if this goes down well with the kids what is going to please us big kids, homemade tartare sauce. Don’t get me wrong I have never grumbled about a jar or the single packets if we get battered fish from the local take-away, but can you ever beat homemade tartare sauce. In this case it never does.
Now to the stove, enjoy making these fish fingers as the kids can also help which makes dinner times that bit more fun.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did, not a single finger left and too my surprise even dippy fingers in the tartare sauce. Winner.
Delectable Crispy Fish Fingers
- 500 g White fish fillets such as haddock or cod
- 100 g Plain Flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 150 g Breadcrumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- 150 ml mayonnaise
- 1 heaped tbsp. gherkins finely chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp. capers finely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley chopped
- ½ lemon juiced
- Salt and Pepper
- Cut the fish fillets into 5cm long strips that are about 1cm thick. Place in to the fridge until needed if preparing earlier as I did.
- Make the bread crumbing station by using 3 bowls. The first one to have the flour, second the egg and milk mixed together and finally the third with breadcrumbs. Season the flour well and you’re ready to go.
- Take the fish from the fridge and then gently place a couple in to the flour until coated, then the egg and then in to the breadcrumbs. Repeat for the remaining fish fingers and place in to the fridge until required.
- Heat your fat fryer or pan with the oil until it reaches a 170ºC. If you do not have a thermometer to test the heat then you can use a small piece of bread. Place the bread in to the hot oil. If it fizzes quickly and lightly browns then the oil is just right. Adjust accordingly until you are at this temperature.
- Place a few fish fingers in to the oil at a time and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown, remove and place on to some kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve straight away with some homemade tartare sauce and a good piece of fresh lemon.