Personally, I have never really tried Vegan food however I did jump on the Veganuary train and was pleasantly surprised with the amazing foods we ate. Some of the best dishes we found were from the book BOSH! by Henry Firth and Ian Theasby. Gentleman I salute you, you made Veganuary so much fun.
So…..one of the recipes that my fiancé and I fell in love with was their Crispy Chilli Tofu. Having never been a fan of Tofu if I can say one thing and one thing only is, try this and like me you will be converted. It is that good it is now a welcome dish any day of the week and best of all our kids like it too. Result!
Crispy Chilli Tofu
- 280 g Firm Tofu ready pressed
- 150 g Cornflour
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 2 Lemons juiced
- 250 ml Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 thinly sliced Spring Onion to serve
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds to serve
- Slice the Tofu into 1cm wide sticks and spread evenly out on a board.
- Sift the cornflour over the top and turn over sifting the remaining cornflour over the tofu. Be generous as the cornflour gives the tofu its crispy coating.
- Pour the oil into a medium sized frying pan until the bottom is coated well. Heat over a medium to hot temperature. When hot place the tofu into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes turning every minute or so until golden and crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with a piece of kitchen paper.
- Tip away the excess oilfrom the pan and place back on the heat. pur in the lemon juice, orange juice, chilli sauce and soy sauce then bring to the boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes until reduced and slightly syrupy.
- Add the tofu to the sauce and cook for about 5 more minutes turning occasionaly to cover in the sauce.
- Serve on its own, with rice and sprinkled with the spring onion and sesame seeds.