I have thought about trying to keep some structure to the website and thought I could relay a post for each upcoming month. This would include a small passage on what is happening, whether personal or events with a selection of recipes to celebrate this period. I will try and choose recipes I find in magazines, books and online, cooked by me and eaten by my family allowing you the reader to see that this really is family food for the table.
So here we are, April. April is a very busy time and is mainly consumed by all of the Easter festivities. My family and I are and will be participating in various Easter themed events from home baking to an Easter egg hunt around our home. Watch for the photos that will be shared on here, twitter and pinterest. It is also marks the middle of spring.
Other events in April are quite varied and span from the Passover (the major Jewish spring festival which commemorates the liberation of the Israelites from Egyptian slavery, lasting seven or eight days from the 15th day of Nisan) which in the UK starts at sundown 3 April 2015 until sundown 11 April 2015. The Thai New Year, Songkran, lasts for 3 days in Thailand (from 13 April – 15 April 2015) and one close to home here in England, St Georges Day which is on 23 April 2015.
Now to business, what food shall we cook for all of these amazing festivals and celebrations? Below I have listed which dishes I will be cooking this month and whether they are themed, where i have gotten the recipe or just a meal my family and I really enjoy.
- Hot Cross Buns – Easter – from BBC Goodfood
- Simnel cherry tart – Easter – from BBC Goodfood
- Easter vanilla/chocolate cupcakes with the kids – Eric Lanard
- Sweet & Tangy Slow cooker Beef Brisket – Passover
- Green Curry and baby corn – Thai New Year – Thai Food
- Caremelised Coconut Rice – Thai New Year – Thai Food
- Roast Lamb Dinner with Yorkshire puddings – St Georges day
- Scones with Cream and Homemade Jam – St Georges Day
- Honey and Lemon Chicken for kids lunchbox – Masterchef everyday
- White Chocolate and Lemon Mousse – Gordon Ramsay – A chef for all seasons